Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Blood Infection...A wonderful summer

Over the last weeks of summer I encountered myself with a blood infection called staff. This blood infection was caused by, what the doctors thought, a thorn or a splinter. The way I noticed that I had gotten this infection was by having major pains in my right knee and also one hundred and five degree temperatures. After we visited the doctor’s office in Easthampton, New York we immediately drove back to the city where I was admitted into the Pediatrics Emergency Room. This is where the doctors took blood and measured what hurt and also told me what their ‘Theories’ were; about what I had.

Later the doctors switched me to the pediatric ward where I stayed for 11 days. Over the course of these eleven days I had been to and received numerous examinations by many different doctors each day. As well as receiving examinations I received numerous tests such as Cat Scans, MRI’s, and a nuclear Bone Scan. After about two days of waiting, and many other blood tests, the doctors had reviewed and checked the scans and blood work, yet to my dismay, they did not find anything wrong in the bone scans but in the blood scans my different sediment rates were higher then normal.

Later that day the head of a company called Coram, a nursing company, came into my room and explained to my family and I that I have to go onto a pump which will dose every six hours and keep that on for five weeks. This I was very depressed about then since I was thinking of how long it would take until I could do normal activities. The next day I went to the pediatric P.I.C. line room, where I was put to sleep and the tube or catheter was placed into my arm, fitting into a vein, and continuing into chest where it was stopped about two inches from my heart. After I received this I got dressed and went home. After that my family and I went back to the country and stayed there the rest of the summer.

The Whole experience has really taught me to appreciate medicine even if it takes a while to fix the problem. At least nowadays technology and medicine have fused together, like always before, except stronger, to make sickness’ and diseases much easier to take care of. I have learned in this experience to be much more patient and relaxed in a stressed situation; since it might not always go faster but it can definitely go smoother than what I have seen in previous experiences. I also learned that technology is not something to abuse and take for granted but is instead a privilege. Overall I think that this was a very rewarding and at the same time a scary experience for my family and I.

No comments: